Post Operative Instructions for Dental Implants in New York NY
Please follow the following instructions as closely as possible. They have been designed to help you heal quickly, and comfortably, with minimal side effects and have proven to be very efficient.
FOR THE NEXT 48 HOURS:
- Do not spit. Use a tissue to wipe your mouth as needed, or swallow your saliva. Spitting can dislodge the blood clot that is forming which in turn prolongs bleeding from the area.
- Do not use a drinking straw. Drink straight from a cup. Sipping or drinking through a straw can dislodge the blood clot that is forming as well.
- Do not smoke. Smoking increases the chance of infection.
- Keep fingers and tongue away from the surgical area.
- Do not consume Hot, Cold, or Spicy food. Hot or cold food can dislodge the clot also and spicy food will increase the chance of infection.
Some minor bleeding is expected after implant surgery, It will usually subside quickly, and stop within an hour or two after surgery. A little oozing is normal and may persist for several hours. Upper implants may occasionally trigger some bleeding from the nose, this is normal and will stop quickly.
- Keep gauze on the surgical area with some pressure for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Remove the gauze after 30 to 45 minutes, and replace it with a new piece of gauze if you are still bleeding. It is important to make sure the gauze is directly on the surgical site. Firm pressure for another hour should stop the bleeding.
- If you find that this is not working after your third attempt, place a dry plain tea bag between two pieces of moistened gauze and keep on the surgical area with some pressure for 30 to 45 minutes. The tannic acid in tea will help to form a clot and stop the bleeding.
- If all else fails, call us at Herald Square Dental & The Denture Center @ Herald Square Dental Phone Number (212) 689-0024.
You may eat soft foods as soon as the anesthetic wears off. Try not to chew directly on the surgical site. You may resume a regular diet as soon as you feel up to it. Please stay well nourished and well hydrated, you will heal faster.
Starting right away, you must brush your teeth after every meal, be gentle avoiding the surgical area and do not spit or rinse forcefully.
Every day you must rinse gently after every meal (no spitting), the first 24 hours with water only, the second day and on with some warm salty water two to three times a day not more than 30 seconds. Do not use alcohol-containing mouth rinses for a few days.
Mouth rinse: Peridex or Periogard. Swish with one-half ounce not more than thirty seconds after breakfast and before bed time, and do not swallow it – gently spit it out. After this rinse do not eat or drink for several hours.
You were given one or more prescriptions for medications, and as directed on the bottle. Call us if you experience sever nausea, diarrhea, or if you cannot swallow your pills.
- Antibiotics: Continue until the bottle is empty. Do not quit halfway.
- Pain Medicine: Continue as necessary. Remember that narcotics can make you drowsy, so no driving, operating machinery, or alcoholic beverages while you are taking them.
- Use Peridex or Periogard as prescribed above under rinsing section.
If you-experience any complications, or have any further questions please call your top providers of dental implants at Herald Square Dental immediately @ Herald Square Dental Phone Number (212) 689-0024.